Maryland Death Penalty Repeal Update June 28, 2012
Get ready for a TWITTERBOMB!!
This Friday, June 29, is the day to Tweet or call Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley, to let him know that this year’s unfinished business in Annapolis should be his top priority in the coming year. Let’s flood his office that day — we’ll thank him for his past support of death penalty repeal and insist that he make it a top priority in the next legislative session. Use these sample tweets, or create your own:
@GovernorOMalley Today is the anniversary of Furman, let’s
abolish #Maryland’s #deathpenalty in 2013. #EndMdDP
@GovernorOMalley Thanks to your leadership #Maryland is a
human rights leader. Let’s abolish the #deathpenalty in 2013
@GovernorOMalley: Be a national leader, repeal the
#deathpenalty in #Maryland! #EndMdDP
If you do create your own tweet, please make sure to use the hashtag #EndMdDP
Whether you tweet, call or both, also be sure to sign our online petition to Governor O’Malley: http://tinyurl.com/omalleydp
Thanks again for your interest in abolishing the death penalty!
Andrea, Kevin, and the Amnesty International USA Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Opportunities and Upcoming Events:
· Annual Fast & Vigil to Abolish the Death Penalty at the U.S. Supreme Court. June 29 through July 3. Friday, June 29 will focus on Maryland, with a teach-in in the evening in front of the Court. For more information, go to http://www.abolition.org/fastandvigil/.
- Briton faces death penalty on drug charges (itv.com)
- Conn. Legislature Approves Repeal of Death Penalty (abcnews.go.com)
- Our View: Rule promptly on death penalty provision (norwichbulletin.com)
- Head of NAACP talking up campaigns to abolish death penalty in states (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Maryland Governor talking about using budget tricks to thwart state’s death penalty (sentencing.typepad.com)