Christopher Petrella is a columnist for Nation of Change. On BusinessInsider.com (which is a much better site than its name would lead you to believe), he offers a trenchant and insightful article about ways this country can reduce its burgeoning prison population.
He didn’t miss a beat with this article. These are the things we’ve been saying on this site, since day 1. I’ll give you his run-down list here, but I strongly advise you click on the link below, and read the original article.
- Replace mandatory sentencinglaws with more flexible and individualized guidelines.
- Strategically reduce “three-strikes” laws for non-violent offenders.
- Relax Truth-in-Sentencing Laws.
- Organize against prison gerrymandering to ensure that low-income communities receive a fairproportion of federal aid.
- Make full employment a domestic policy goal.
- Eliminate the use of for-profit, private prison companies.
- Establish prison education programs and incentivize inmate participation.
- Provide incentives for…
View original post 85 more words