Posted by talesfromthelou on June 1, 2013
Saturday Jun 01, 2013
A new report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has revealed that the suicide rate among middle-aged Americans has increased during recent decade.
The suicide rate among adults 35-64 in both white people and American Indians jumped from nearly 14 per 100,000 people in 1999 to almost 18 in 2010, the CDC reported.
The researchers also indicated that middle-aged people accounted for some 57% of suicides in the United States.
Suicides by American Indians increased 65% from more than 11 per 100,000 to almost 19 in the decade while the rate among white people rose 40%, from 16 per 100,000 to 22.
Other studies had earlier shown that the risk of suicide was substantially larger for unmarried than for married people.
They also noted that the rates in younger and older people held steady.
Though the causes behind suicide trend among middle-aged have not been investigated, “one factor may be cultural differences in willingness to seek help during tough times”, one of the authors of the CDC report Thomas Simon explained.
◾Why Are Suicide Rates Rising For Middle-Aged Adults? (wnyc.org)
◾Suicides soar among US middle-aged (bbc.co.uk)
◾US suicide rate rose sharply among middle-aged (kansascity.com)
- Suicide Rate Rises as Economy Stresses Middle-Age America – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Middle Aged Suicide Rates; NJ Good Samaritan Overdose Law; NYC Water History; College Bubble (wnyc.org)
- UPDATE 1-Suicide rate rose sharply among middle-aged Americans, CDC finds – Reuters (in.reuters.com)
- Suicide rate soars among middle-aged in U.S. (readingeagle.com)
- U.S. suicide rate rising among middle-aged (rep-am.com)
- US suicide rate rose sharply among middle-aged (kansascity.com)
- Suicide Rates on the Rise in the United States; Kills More People Than Car Accidents (hngn.com)
- Suicides soar among US middle-aged (bbc.co.uk)
- Why Are Suicide Rates Rising For Middle-Aged Adults? (wnyc.org)