Some lines from this so important article:
After seven months in isolation at Cresson state penitentiary in Pennsylvania, an inmate identified as “EE” began to deteriorate.
He banged his head against his cell, smeared feces on the walls, and ripped the bandage off of a wound, digging in his fingers until it bled.
At Cresson, during 15 consecutive months in isolation, he would threaten or attempt to harm or kill himself at least 15 times.
“Isolation,” he would later tell Justice Department officials, “makes me want to rip my face off.”
- Locked Up: The son of Michael Douglas offered a compelling critique of U.S. justice system (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Prison Misused Solitary Confinement: Feds (abcnews.go.com)
- Feds say Pa. prison misused solitary confinement (miamiherald.com)
- Justice Department Determines PA Prison Violated InmateCivil Rights (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- One of the Darkest Periods in the History of American Prisons (theatlantic.com)
- U.S. DOJ Documents Torturous Treatment of Prisoners with Mental Illness in Pennsylvania Solitary Confinement Unit (solitarywatch.com)
- Pennsylvania prison misused solitary confinement for mentally ill inmates, feds say (pennlive.com)
- Suicide in Solitary: A Mother Remembers Her Son (solitarywatch.com)
- Solitary Confinement Misused In Pennsylvania Prison: Feds (huffingtonpost.com)
- With 80.000 Prisoners in Solitary Confinement, the U.S. Holds More People inSegregation Than Other Countries Have In Their Entire Prison Systems (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)