In the lucky country of Australia apartheid is alive and kicking
The corridors of the Australian parliament are so white you squint. The sound is hushed; the smell is floor polish. The wooden floors shine so virtuously they reflect the cartoon portraits of prime ministers and rows of Aboriginal paintings, suspended on white walls, their blood and tears invisible.
The parliament stands in Barton, a suburb of Canberra named after the first prime minister of Australia, Edmund Barton, who drew up the White Australia Policy in 1901. “The doctrine of the equality of man,” said Barton, “was never intended to apply” to those not British and white-skinned. …
PLEASE, READ WHOLE ARTICLE HERE: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/05/australia-apartheid-alive-aboriginal-history?
- In the lucky country of Australia apartheid is alive and kicking (theguardian.com)
- The brutal past and present are another country in secret Australia: a new John Pilger film, ‘Utopia’ (atlasmonitor.wordpress.com)
- The Brutal Past and Present are Another Country in Secret Australia (therebel.org)
- Film “Utopia” shows Australia’s history of oppression of Aboriginal people (nuclear-news.net)
- John Pilger: ‘In the Lucky Country of Australia Apartheid is Alive and Kicking’ (politics.ie)
- ‘Utopia’ by John Pilger released in UK on 15th November (economicvoice.com)
- John Pilger: Australia’s silent apartheid (newint.org)
- Aborigines & other native Pacific/ Oceanic peoples (1tawnystranger.wordpress.com)
- John Pilger’s Epic New Film ‘Utopia’ Released In UK Cinema 15th November 2013 (close-upfilm.com)
- Australia’s treatment of indigenous population akin to apartheid (antonyloewenstein.com)